J. Edward Ketz
Associate Professor of Accounting
Office: 342 Business Building
Member of Faculty Since: 1981
J. Edward Ketz, Ph.D., a member of the Penn State faculty since 1981, has authored and edited 17 books as well as numerous articles. Hidden Financial Risk (Wiley, 2003) examines the corporate culture and the institutional setting that engendered recent accounting scandals, informs investors how to protect themselves, and suggests improvements for the profession. Accounting Ethics (Routledge, 2006) investigates the accounting profession over the last century by scrutinizing its positions on ethics and its roles in accounting scandals and by exploring how to reduce the number of accounting frauds. Fair Value Measurements (BNA, 2007), co-authored with Mark Zyla (Managing Director at Acuitas, Inc.), summarizes the FASB' efforts in this area, supplies the conceptual ideas behind this topic, describes methods employed by valuation assessors, and reviews criticisms of fair value measurements.
Professor Ketz provides commentary on accounting issues to the press, including CNBC, CNN, and National Public Radio. Some recent citations:
- Weil, "Lehman Brothers Should Come Clean on R3 Capital," Bloomberg (July 31, 2008).
- "Fair Value Accounting," National Public Radio, "All Things Considered," (October 1, 2008).
- Gordon and Bernard, "Banks Want to Suspend Accounting Rule in Bailout," Associated Press (September 28, 2008).
- Healy, "Losses in Good-Will Values Compound Bank Troubles," New York Times (April 27, 2009).
- Freed, "General Electric Debt Rating Still Looks High," The Street.com (July 8, 2009).
- Barr, "FASB Chairman Steps Down," CNNMoney (August 23, 2010).
- Westbrook, "The Accounting Board Is a Sinecure Qua Non," Bloomberg Businessweek (September 30, 2010).
- Reilly and Denning, "Heard on the Street: Jumping into Munis Requires a Leap of Faith," Wall Street Journal (October 4, 2010).
- "E&Y Suit Hinges on Lehman Use of Repo 105," Financial Times (December 22, 2010).
- Weil, "What Vikram Pandit Knew, and When He Knew It," Bloomberg.com (February 23, 2011).
With Professor Anthony Catanach (Villanova), Dr. Ketz writes "Grumpy Old Accountants," a column about financial reporting issues. (http://blogs.smeal.psu.edu/grumpyoldaccountants/) . Some recent essays are:
- "The Lying Culture," (April 2011).
- "What' Up With Cash Balances," (April 2011).
- "Where Are the Accounting Profession' Leaders?" (May 2011).
Financial accounting and reporting
ACCTG 472, Intermediate Accounting II
ACCTG 473, Advanced Accounting